Employment with the Church of the Village
The Church of the Village currently accepting materials for the following position.
The Church of the Village is a dynamic, progressive, radically inclusive faith community located in a landmark building in the heart of the West Village. A fixture of the neighborhood, we are deeply committed to the activities of our feeding ministry (soup kitchen and food pantry) and are involved in many community initiatives supporting the pursuit of social justice in our city and our world. We are expanding organically both in our physical operations and in our spirited membership and we seek an energetic and committed administrative professional to support this growth! This position would be ideal for an entrepreneurial leader in the emerging stages of his or her career looking to gain hands on experience in non-profit administration.
Office hours: Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Some weekend and evening work should be expected.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and is detail oriented, with exceptional organizational, planning, and communication skills.
- Ability to proactively anticipate needs and work independently, with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work well in a collaborative environment, working with senior staff and the lay leadership of the congregation, along with the building staff and food ministry coordinator.
- Understanding of the church community’s faith and mission statement.
- Ability to manage and prioritize a high volume of visitors, calls, emails, scheduling requests, ordering, and other responsibilities simultaneously.
- Maintain a positive attitude and demonstrate an ability to be flexible.
- Review and assist pastors with their calendars every day and ensure they execute their
- schedules on time and are fully prepared for meetings.
- Prepare agendas and meeting materials well in advance of all meetings and take minutes for staff meetings.
- Maintain church contact database in Salesforce, entering new data accurately and punctually, running reports and keeping records up to date.
- Maintaining membership records (including baptism and new members).
- Maintain and create effective filing systems (paper and electronic) and generally keep office areas organized.
- Monitor and oversee the ordering and use of the church supplies and office equipment.
- Arrange comprehensive travel itineraries, making reservations, meeting registrations, and other preparations as needed.
- Coordinate audio/visual needs for meetings.
- Conduct research as needed.
- Interact with outside organizations, both private and government. Assist the church business manager in handling requests for building space usage.
- Handle other general office and administrative tasks as needed.
- Serve as the central hospitality agent and receptionist for The Church of the Village.
- Manage all phone calls and email inquiries
- Receive and communicate with church members and visitors.
- Develop and oversee the production of 150 to 200 weekly worship bulletins with announcements, and duplicate and fold for distribution for Sunday morning worship experiences. Print copies of the worship script for the worship leadership. Occasionally design and print any special inserts for worship bulletins.
- Maintain and update the church website as needed.
- Produce and distribute church wide mailings, including e-mails.
- In consultation with the pastors, produce and distribute the weekly digital church newsletter. Maintain the newsletter mailing list.
- Assure that necessary brochures, welcome/prayer request cards, offering envelopes, fliers, and other materials necessary for worship and publicity are available as needed.
- Manage communication with church committees regarding scheduling, announcements, reminders, distributing documents, recording meeting attendance, and other business.
- Check and update voicemail messages as needed.
- Process mail and other correspondence in a timely fashion (incoming and outgoing).
- Develop and/or oversee the production of promotional flyers, ads, etc. for church events.
- Develop the Church Directory for annual distribution.
- Collect information from staff and committee chairs and prepare Annual Church Report.
- Attend staff meetings as necessary.
- Update the public church Google calendar.
- Assist in coordinating the scheduling of church facilities: worship services, church meetings, church group functions, outside space users, etc.
- Schedule servicing (periodic or as needed) of office equipment, fire extinguishers, piano tuning, etc.
- Organize and submit documents related to accounts payable to the church business manager.
- Coordinate bi-weekly and monthly payroll, submit to payroll company.
- Enter weekly church statistics.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent professional degree/accreditation in a related field
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and the Internet.
- Credited experience and training in office administration, teamwork, and hospitality services, or equivalences preferred
- Experience with Mailchimp, Squarespace, Google Drive, Google Docs, and other Google online applications strongly preferred.
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM program preferred
$38,000 to $42,000, depending on experience and qualifications. Benefits package includes health insurance coverage, paid holidays, and vacation.
How to Apply
Cover letters and resumes are accepted by mail or email (preferred).
The Church of the Village - Recruitment
201 West 13th Street
New York, NY 10011